By Damien Newton, July 15, 2013
Do you like Metro public meetings? What if I were to tell you they were meetings for the I-710 Big Dig and the High Desert Corridor? Not excited? Well, good news! There are also meetings for Metro
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday – We’ve written that despite being the largest highway expansion project being debated in the state, it dwarfs the I-710 Big Dig, that the addition of a High Speed Rail component makes the High Desert Corridor at least an interesting project. Read our article. Go to a meeting. There’s three this week, with more next week. Some are being live streamed.
- Wednesday – Tour LaBonge comes to a close with a tour of Hollywood. Join our hero for this last ride. Details, here.
- Wednesday, Thursday – It’s that time of month again. The Metro Board of Directors will meet next week, but this week is the committee meetings. Some of the chair positions have been shifted under new Metro Board of Directors Chair Diane Dubois. See what the committees are discussing, by visiting the Metro Board Agenda Page. Maybe the Mayor should get around to appointing members to the Metro Board of Directors.
- Thursday, Saturday – Following the bizarre “710 Day” party in Alhambra, there are a handful of public meetings/updates for the 710 Big Dig project. Two are this week. One is next Tuesday. Get the details, here.
- Saturday - West Hollywood will be hosting a walking and biking tour on Saturday, July 20th at 10:30am to look at our city streets and sidewalks and discuss what it feels like to be a pedestrian and cyclist in WeHo. I did one of these in Pasadena in 2008. It was great. If you can’t be there Saturday, or even if you can, check out their interactive website WalkBikeWeho.
- Saturday - Walk the halls of the last great railway station built in the U.S. with fellow YPT transportation enthusiasts. Led by a knowledgeable Los Angeles Conservancy docent, we will explore Union Station and its rich history, architecture, art and culture on this group walking tour. The RSVP date was yesterday, so if you’re interested, you should let them know, pronto. Details.
- Saturday - On Saturday, July 20th, 2013, through a sponsorship by Metro, C.I.C.L.E., with Bici Libre, will beat the summer heat with an evening bicycle ride to hear live music under the stars. We’ll bike from the Exposition Park Rose Gardens to MacArthur Park to experience the unique sounds and beats of Mucca Razza at Levitt Pavilion! The ride will connect two beautiful green public spaces in Los Angeles, stopping at MacArthur Park for the infectious sounds of Mucca Razza, a not so typical marching rock ‘n roll band. Details. Facebook.