By Damien Newton, December 15, 2014
One last big Council meeting of the year, and then things start to settle down.
- Tuesday – The Los Angeles City Council meets to vote on (amongst other things) whether or not to approve a project list to submit to Metro for the Call for Projects (Item 22). The list is mostly good, but it includes a “stinker” of a project that would add diagonal parking to North Figueroa Street, effectively killing any plans to make the street a safe place to bicycle, walk, or drive a car. Meeting starts at 10 a.m. Expect a lot of public comment. Flying Pigeon is encouraging folks to Storm the Bastille. The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition is speaking out. So should you.
- Ongoing – Every December, Streetsblog asks for your help to continue our work going into next year. This year is no different. Pledge an ongoing commitment or make a one-time donation today. Even a $10 donation helps us be stronger in the future. Donate now and you will be entered into a drawing to win a free public bicycle.
- Wednesday – But if you really like our sister site LongBeachIze, that publication is having a pledge drive too. And happy hours! Our winter pledge drive ends at the Blind Donkey (149 Linden Ave.) for our second happy hour in as many months. Join our editor Brian Addison, one of the co-founders of the original LongBeachIze, Baktaash Sorkhabi, and other Long Beach dignitaries to celebrate 2014 and the rebirth of Long Beach’s own independent news source for planning, open space, urban design and transportation news. The party starts at 5:30 and goes until 8:00. Drink specials, again, courtesy of New Belgium Brewing. RSVP on Facebook.
- Saturday - Celebrate the holiday season with a free, all-ages screening of the beloved film “The Wizard of Oz!” The screening will take place inside Union Station’s majestic former ticketing hall. The screening will be preceded by a costume contest for those who want to embellish their experience and dress up as their favorite Wizard characters. Get more information, here.
- Next week – Streetsblog Los Angeles will publish a partial day next Wednesday, the 24th, and then go dark until the next Monday. On the 29th through 31st, we’ll be publishing our Streetsie nominees and a place for the readers to vote. We’ll resume normal publication on Monday, January 5. We’ll update the calendar and be ready to go with the first “Week in Livable Streets Events” on 12/5.