By Joe Linton, September 28, 2015
This week: ride, run, and plan for the future of Los Angeles – plus some great film screenings! No L.A. City Council meetings this week, due to a late September recess.
- Tuesday 8/29 – “#IAmPlanning: Bridging the
Gap Between Planning and Activism” takes place from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Mercado La Paloma at 3655 S Grand Ave in South L.A. It is free, but RSVP required at Brown Paper Tickets. Additional details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 9/1 – Community Services Unlimited hosts a film screening, panel, and reception as part of the art exhibit Urban Visions: Art a Social Practice. The free event takes place from 6 to 8 p.m. at USC’s School of Cinematic Arts Gallery. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 10/3 – Boyle Heights 5K Run/Walk &
Munchkin Fun Run takes off from the Mariachi Avenue Gold Line Station at 8 a.m. Registration details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 10/3 – UCLA Transportation Camp takes place from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. – but it’s sold out. Register for the wait list for $25 at Eventbrite. Additional information at UCLA Institute of Transportation Studies.
- Saturday 10/3 – Wear pink to the free #wattsrockpink2 bike ride and health fair. Starts at 10 a.m. at Watts Labor Community Action Committee at 10950 S Central Ave. For more information, see Facebook event.
- Sunday 10/4 – Head to the free Hollywood Sign Summit walk. It’s a free, public walk through Beachwood Canyon and Griffith Park to the Hollywood Sign, starting at 9 a.m. from Beachwood Market at 2701 Belden Drive in Hollywood. Tour some popular viewing areas and paths to the sign. Event includes guest speakers and a discussion and mini-charrette on improving access to the sign and Griffith Park in general. For more information, see Facebook event.
- Sunday 10/4 – Free bike tune-up session hosted by BKOB/Ride On Bike Co-Op from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Leimert Park. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 10/4 – The Ambulante Film Festival presents a free screening of the movie Bikes Vs. Cars at the L.A. River bowtie parcel near the 2 Freeway in Glassell Park. For details see Ambulante Festival. Feeder rides from San Fernando Valley hosted by CiclaValley, and from South L.A. hosted by BKOB/Ride On Bike Co-Op.